Thursday 23 December 2010

SHOULD I CELEBRATE X'MAS OR JOIN THE MAJORITY?

December month fascinates me ever since I was in my diapers. Every year when the month pass through it gives me mixed emotions. Both happy and sad. I am happy that I could be part of a Global celebration and also cherish the birth of Jesus Christ being a Christian. I am sad because, it's the last few moments of the year which caution me of the upcoming challenges and reminiscence of the passing year.

It's been nearly 3 years now residing in Dubai and my wife reminded me of the gala celebration with all family members in town. In the last fall we couldnt merry with the whole members of the family . That is a strong reason for celebrating X'MAS this time. I couldn't resist much.

Children are agog with the festival mood and the first thing they insist me is to place an order for an indoor Christmas tree. A search in the nearby shopping malls made my nerve chill after looking at the price tag. I have decided to have a try at the local market for a cheaper version. A friend of mine guided me to the inner roads of Deira. After several attempts we could locate a retail shop selling decorative items. At one go you feel the items were dirt cheap. It amused me further on realising that a cramped shop of this sort is storing a hell lot of materials. All China made.

The sales man was insisting to buy some original stuff rather than the one which was displayed. He kept saying that the original stuff (kept in the godown) would be durable in the long run and its quality is much superior. But I insisted for a basic model among the items displayed. It would cost me only 1/4th of the price I have seen in the supermarkets. The sales man is not budging. Now he demands only a little higher for the so called original stuff than the cheap one which is displayed in the showroom. When he saw I am not relenting his next offer was tempting. Almost at par with the price tag of the Original item. Orginal stuff for the price of a cheap one. I was skeptical because the new item is also some Chinese stuff except the packing and the price has finally nosedived to half from what he has asked earlier. My friend winked his eyes and gave an agreement nod. I am sold. At least I should respect his suggestion . He has taken the pain of coming with me to an interior place for no purpose of him. With some weight lifting steps we could carry the pack and walk a few miles to reach our car. Thank god the weather was graceful and moderate.

Children couldn't resist the temptation for seeing the tree unfurled. In no time unwrapping is done and to my surprise the whole set need to be assembled from the scratch. When I dig through the stems I could see some broken pieces of balloons and decor foil papers. My intuition proved to be right. The tree was an used one but in a new carton pack. The sales guy was certain that I would not come back to his shop for an exchange weathering the climate carrying the heavy box and bothering the parking issues in Deira. My lawyer mind kept insisting for a retaliation but my common sense prevented to proceed further. My mind kept reminding me -It is not worth it. I would loose more money if I carry the stuff back.  I phoned him the other day but he defended with some petty excuses but had to surrender finally. I Just cautioned him firmly so that he will not continue the same Modus Operandi with others. Let it be my Christmas gift in disguise to him. After all Christmas is all about gifting. The best gift one can give is to forgive someone for a fault done intentionally or otherwise.

The whole incident prompted me to write this blog with a touch of business . Now a days the imported chinese items are flooded in the market. You could get anything from a portable and illuminated nativity set to self blinking stars for christmas. China is the largest exporter in the world. It has become the 2nd largest economy surpassing Japan recently. Despite its global dominance in exports it lack credibility as a democratic nation. The news about the nobel laureate Mr. Liu Xiaobo is still warm. He is under house arrest with no access to any one expect the disguised Chinese military men. All he did was he opposed the one party communist system in the country. He will celebrate the Christmas ( I guess he is not a christian) & New Year under surveillance and no freedom to visit or exchange greetings even with his close relatives. It still haunts me the portrait of Liu Xiaobo being kept at a chair as a symbolic presence at the 2010 Nobel price ceremony as his own government has prevented him from reaching the venue to accept the awards which was considered to be noble among all awards.

Julian Assange is a celebrity now. He is constantly harassed by several governments for publishing cable transcripts containing secret diplomatic messages. The Guardian reported the version of Assange -"Why punish the messenger instead of the the actual culprit?" is something to ponder seriously. He is on legal bail now for an offence purportedly created to chain him. Come what may Justice shall prevail. He has to wear an electronic jewellery all the time while on move which provides an indication of his movements. He has to report atleast once in day before the police. But he is provided a laptop. He will have his X'MAS within the four boundaries. Away from his own family and country men. His X'MAS is in limbo for what he has done to the journalist community. Reporting fearlessly and against the mighty US and its alliances.

Greece is still struggling to recover from the economic mess it had created in yester years. The Austerity measures implemented by the govement at the like of EU is showing no sign of improvement. The pictures appear now a days in the front page of international newspapers were alarming. The protesters clashing with government and the bleeding faces are a common sight these days. Spain is under scanner. Other EU members like Italy, Portugal and Belgium shall soon follow the suit. Christmas is still a pain for many of its citizens despite the fact  that they want to consider otherwise. Let peace be upon them.

A picture appeared in International Herald Tribune recently --An Irish lady selling all her belongings for a song was heart breaking and touching. She plans to migrate to other country.The economy has crashed. Once a dominant player in the international arena has succumbed to perils. Liquidity infusion by peer country members has found no avail.  Ms. Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor is against the bail out. How long a stronger nation can support the weaker and that too because of its own actions? She is quite right on her views. But others are not convinced. Can Ireland guarentee its citizens a fun filling christmas season? Only time will tell.

Let's forget these instance for a moment. Think about Palestine and Israel. Bethlehem, the birth place of Jesus Christ is surrounded by israeli forces. Huge wall seperate the Jerusalem from other regions. The famous church which was once the home ground of Christ is deserted. The restrictions put forth by the israeli authorites make the worship a ceremonial affair. Tourist who long and desire to see the holy land are scared to visit the holy place. It's a war like region. How can anyone celebrate the Christmas at this atmosphere?

I hope Mark Zukerberg will have a new way to celebrate this christmas. The social networking king might have got a different plan to celebrate. Bill Gates and his Melinda foundation is planning to have a Christmas celebration for the underprivileged class. Warren Buffet's(world's third richest man) plans is yet to be  announced. Carlos Slim, the Mexican billionaire ,the world's richest, still plays hide and seek game. Brad pit and Angelina Jolie are holidaying this season at an unknown location. Let's respect their privacy. After all they are celebrities in their own world.

Corporates are still in red and yet out of woods. GM has paid back all what they owe to the US government with some innovative business strategies. It took a downturn for the GM to think out of the box. BP is still struggling to settle the claims by those affected by the oil leak. It owes billions to US as compensation. Many of its assets are under hammer to settle the dues. Employers around the world are worried. Cash flow deficit is a daily topic in management meetings. Unemployment is the biggest concern faced by governments. The most distressing question, reported by Newsweek, is HOW WOULD THE COMPANIES HANDLE THEIR DEBT IN 2011? FT has reported that many of the corporates in US and Canada have cancelled their Christmas celebration this time and have asked the employees to do it on their own.

World poverty is rising at unprecedented levels. Let me not take this space to highlight as it is known to most of us. How can anyone celebrate Christmas peacefully? I have no clue.

I am neither a celebrity nor a corporate honcho to be compared. But as like any one who observes the economic situation I too live in a fear of uncertainty. But my family disagrees to part away with the celebration mood. They have their own reasons. They say why would anyone forfeit the celebration for others? After all one only reap what he sow. I had no satisfying explanations to offer. Christmas song from my system is playing aloud. Let me also join the gang and not spoil others mood. My inner mind keeps reminding me of the factual state.It is now in questioning mode. I may not have any answers and even if I have no one is interested to lend their ears.

Let the celebration continue. MERRY CHRISTMAS, To all my friends, Colleagues, well wishers and my bizsense blog readers.

Antony Konnoth
bizsense.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment